Freemasons provide volunteer drivers and vehicles for cancer patients to get to and from appointments. Learn more on the Cancer Car Website.
Sir Harry Burrard-Neale
Burrard Lodge was named after Sir Harry Burrard-Neale, 2nd Baronet (16 September 1765 – 7 February 1840) was a British Member of Parliament for Lymington. Burrard fought and distinguished himself in the Mutiny of the Nore in 1797. He held the office of Member of Parliament for Lymington between 1790-1802, 1806-1807, 1812-1823, and 1832-1835 He gained the office of a Lord of the Admiralty between 1804 and 1807, and the rank of Admiral of the Royal Navy in 1810.
He was engaged at the Action of 13 March 1806 in HMS London. He was invested as a Knight Commander and a Knight Grand Cross Order of the Bath in 1815 and 1822 respectively, then a Knight Grand Cross in the Order of St Michael and St George in 1824. In 1825, he became Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean Fleet of the Royal Navy.
He died at age 74 and was buried in Lymington Church, Lymington, Hampshire, England.
Burrard Inlet was named in his honour by Captain George Vancouver in June 1792.
Burrard Lodge first met in a building, erected in 1908 by Walter Owen, at 121 East 1st Street, North Vancouver. The North Van Masonic Temple Assoc. Ltd. was established in December 1909 and in April 1911 a letter was sent to Burrard Lodge inviting them to move in. Their first meeting in the "new blue room" was on June 2, 1911.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF BURRARD LODGE No. 50
Prior to the establishment of the District of North Vancouver, a settlement called Moodyville had grown up on the waterfront, around a sawmill, about one mile east of Lonsdale Avenue. In 1867 a Masonic lodge, called Mt. Herman Lodge, was established in this settlement and operated until 1889, when it was relocated to the Vancouver side of the Inlet.
In 1906 electric power had arrived on the north shore of Burrard Inlet. A residential power grid was being installed, tracks for an electric street car system were being laid, a new double ended ferry was providing a regular service between the north and south shores and a water system was being developed.
The residents of the area, now known as North Vancouver City, decided to separate from the District of North Vancouver, which extended from Horseshoe Bay in the west to Deep Cove in the east. They applied for a City Charter from the Provincial Government in Victoria, which was received in the summer of 1907.
The new city and its population were starting to grow and a group of freemasons felt the need of a Masonic lodge on the North Shore. Wor Bro David G. Dick, a realtor with offices on Lonsdale Avenue between Esplanade and First Street, offered his premises for a meeting place, and on December 30, 1907 a number of freemasons met to discuss forming a Masonic lodge. They obtained a petition, which was placed in Wor Bro Dick’s offices, where all interested brethren could affix their signatures.
Two weeks later, on January 14, 1908, they held a second meeting, by which time twenty-one brethren had signed the petition to become charter members and so they advised the Grand Lodge of British Columbia of their intentions. These brethren had arrived in the area from Scotland, England, Ontario, Manitoba, Vancouver Island, Northern B.C., Washington state, Illinois, Ohio and many stops in between.
On January 21, 1908 they met for the third time and were informed that the Grand Lodge Representative had inspected the several halls that they proposed using for their meeting place, but did not find any of them suitable. The problem was resolved when one of the brethren, Walter Owen, offered to erect a building with suitable accommodations for the Lodge on its second floor. This building still stands a short distance from Lonsdale Avenue on East First Street (at the time of this writing).
On March 13, 1908 they met for the fourth time where they voted to petition the Grand Lodge for a Dispensation to form a Masonic lodge, to be called Burrard Lodge and to practice the “Canadian Ritual”.
On March 21 they met again and the officers’ proficiency was examined by the District Deputy Grand Master and met with his approval.
The Grand Master granted the Dispensation March 25, 1908 and on April 3, 1908 he traveled to North Vancouver City where he Instituted Burrard Lodge and installed the Officers.
Between April 3, and June 6, 1908, when their Dispensation expired, they held ten meetings, initiated seven candidates, passed seven Fellow Crafts and raised four Master Masons. When Grand Lodge met in Victoria on June 18, 1908 Burrard Lodge was granted a warrant and given the number 50. On July 7, 1908 the Grand Master, Most Wor Bro W. K. Houston, traveled to North Vancouver City to Constitute and Consecrate the Lodge and the Lodge Room.
Our present building was erected in 1910 and occupied in 1911. Over the years it has seen many great meetings and events. Also in those years the members of Burrard Lodge have branched out to form many other Masonic lodges in North and West Vancouver and Concordant bodies, many of whom meet in our lodge hall.
On Friday July 4, 2008 we celebrated the centenary of Burrard Lodge with a special meeting and on Saturday July 5, 2008 we celebrated with our wives and friends on a dinner cruise of Burrard Inlet on MV Burrard Queen.